Chefs That Stir the Soul
When: Monday, September 19, 2011
Where: Balzer Theater at Herren's, Theatrical Outfit, 84 Luckie Street, Atlanta 30303
Time: 7:30 - 9:00
Few experiences can match the intimacy of storytelling around a table. Few cities can match Atlanta's larger-than-life chefs. Enter stage left: Theatrical Outfit's one-night event, Chefs That Stir the Soul! Join us as a star-studded line-up of Atlanta chefs become stage performers, discussing the mouthwatering experiences of their careers and offering a small taste of their craft. Admission includes these spoken word and musical performances with complementary tastings, themed cocktails, a keepsake bento box and a first-ever opportunity for foodies and theater-lovers alike to look behind the swinging kitchen door.
(1) Linton Hopkins is chef/owner of the celebrated Restaurant Eugene (and its sister operations Holeman & Finch Public House, H&F Bread Co., and H&F Bottle Shop) and has deep Atlanta roots (Emory grad). He is a three-time James Beard Award Nominee for Best Chef – Southeast; was crowned one of Food and Wine Magazine’s Best New Chefs in 2009; is a former competitor on The Food Network’s “Iron Chef America” program; and recently had the honor of harvesting vegetables from the White House Garden with First Lady Michelle Obama and Washington, DC schoolchildren.
(2) Steven Satterfield is a Georgia native and co-owner/executive chef at Miller Union, the Westside eatery that garnered Atlanta magazine's "2010 Restaurant of the Year" award, and that has been recognized as one of America's "Best New Restaurants" by Bon Appétit and Esquire magazines and the James Beard Foundation.
(3) Meridith Ford Goldman is a pastry chef and former Atlanta Journal-Constitution food critic, now of the The Reynolds Group in Atlanta. A popular guest speaker at culinary events, she has appeared on numerous radio and television shows, and is also a former baking and pastry chef-instructor at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island.
(4) Cathy Conway is the founder and executive chef of Avalon Catering, one of the premier catering firms in metro Atlanta. Cathy’s “refined rustic” cooking is informed by a passion for freshness nurtured by the Maryland seafood she grew up on and maintained by her close relationships with local farmers and artisanal purveyors. Because of this genuine interest in local foods, Cathy uses local ingredients whenever possible, writes a biannual newsletter profiling local farmers, and serves as an Atlanta drop off point for the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) run by a network of local farmers. Cathy has been a leader in local farm to school programs conducting cooking classes to reconnect children to their food and to fight childhood obesity.
(5) Todd Richards is Chef de Cuisine at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead, and is further well-known in the Atlanta community both for helming the Lush Life Group of restaurants (including Rolling Bones BBQ and One Flew South) and for his appearance on The Food Network's "Iron Chef America" Battle Carrots episode.
* Also featuring VIP Event Chef Juan Montier. Montier is president of Montier Designs, where he combines his gourmet cooking acumen with his formal architectural training to offer clients a unique lifestyle consultancy. Juan has also been a finalist on ABC's The View's "Next Celebrity Chef Contest."