Theatrical Outfit (TO) is committed to developing the next generation of both artists and audiences. Building on our 15-year history of a successful internship program, TO is excited to announce the establishment of our first year-round apprentice company.
Theatrical Outfit’s Apprentice Program seeks to bridge the gap between the academic and professional worlds by providing hands-on experience to recent college graduates in the areas of performance, direction, production, and administration. Apprenticeships at TO contain four major aspects:
- Executing specific responsibilities within each area of focus
- Gaining experience in areas of the theatre outside their specific focus
- Contributing to Theatrical Outfit’s new work program
- Expanding skills and knowledge through a series of master classes and workshops taught by high caliber professional theatre artists
See the applications linked below for detailed goals in three main areas of training: Artistic, Management, and Production. See the side buttons on this page for What to Expect and Benefits and Perks of a TO apprenticeship.
Applications for the 2020-2021 Theatrical Outfit Apprentice Company are now CLOSED. TO will engage an initial company of 4 Apprentices within focuses on Artistic, Production, and Management. Apprentices will be in residence with TO from July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021, working 20 – 35 hours per week. Each Apprentice will be paid a stipend of $10,000 for the year and will receive two weeks of vacation time. Housing and transportation is not provided.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Prepare a cover letter answering the following questions:
– Why does an apprenticeship interest you at this time?
– Why have you chosen TO?
– What are your career goals, and how will an apprenticeship at TO help you achieve them?
2. Print and complete the appropriate application for your area of interest.
3. Submit cover letter, completed application, and requested supporting materials to by email to email@example.com by 5pm on April 1, 2020. Indicate “Apprenticeship Application” in the subject line.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
1. Theatrical Outfit will confirm receipt of all applications via email.
2. Completed applications will be reviewed by staff. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
3. Applicants may be invited to participate in a phone, video, or in-person interview or audition. Not every applicant is granted an interview. 2020 interview and audition dates are TBA.
4. Applicants will be notified regardless of acceptance status no later than May 15, 2020.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Apprentices are each paid a $10,000 stipend for one season, typically July 1-June 30.
- Apprentices work an average of 20-35 hours per week. Work may happen during the day, at night, during the week, and on weekends. Outside part time jobs should be flexible to the TO apprenticeship schedule.
- Exact schedules, start dates, and end dates are determined based on individual Apprentices’ schedules and the theatre’s needs.
- Apprentices receive two weeks of vacation time. Time off and travel should be coordinated with the appropriate staff member.
- Theatrical Outfit does not offer college credit for apprenticeships.
- Theatrical Outfit does not provide or validate parking.
- Theatrical Outfit does not provide housing.
- Apprentices are asked not to audition for or accept work at other theatres that takes place during their TO apprenticeship. However, Apprentices may audition for/apply for work that begins after the TO apprenticeship ends.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Professional development and mentorship through a combination of formal classes and informal sessions with staff and guest artists.
- Season-long opportunities to create work alongside professional artists across multiple areas including acting and understudying, casting, dramaturgy, assistant directing, producing, design, crew, box office, and production.
- Networking opportunities with local, regional, and national directors, designers, actors, producers, and community leaders.
- Inclusion in Theatrical Outfit events such as first rehearsal Meet and Greets, Opening Night receptions, Galas, and other special events.
- Complimentary tickets to all Theatrical Outfit productions during the course of apprenticeship.
- Discounted and free tickets to Atlanta theatres and arts organizations.
Theatrical Outfit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.